utility line shadows [RE-wrenches]

EH Roy ehroy at solar-works.com
Thu Aug 28 08:20:32 PDT 2003

Andy,

I had a utility line shadow over one of several 400V series strings of
multicrystalline modules a few years ago. I could easily detect the lower
output of that string when the sun was positioned to cast a shadow over it.
It was right up with other string outputs when the shadow was not there. I
can't give you anything quantitative, it was too long ago - it was
noticeable but it did not totally eliminate the output of that string by any
means.

If you want something quantitative, you might hold one of the modules you
plan to use at the design tilt angle and measure the Isc with and without a
utility line shadow on it to get a percent output loss. Combine that with
some pathfinder analysis of your proposed array site to determine how many
series strings of the array will have utility line shading and when.

Hope that is helpful.

E. H. Roy
Solar Works Inc.
64 Main Street