Utility Style kWh Meters [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Thu Aug 21 07:27:53 PDT 2003

Travis,

Here is a message I posted to the list 1-3-03:

A few months back the list had a posting about where to get
reconditioned kWh meters. I wanted to followup on the experiences I had
with one of the suppliers, Texas Meters.

I recently installed 2 used kWh meters. I bought them from Texas Meters
for $50.00 each. About a week after I received them I got a call from
our local "county dept. of weights and measures" asking what I was going
to do with the kWh meters I bought from Texas Meters... whoa, big
brother is even involved with kWh meter sales?? What next!

Here's the scoop, evidently Texas Meters feels it necessary to report to
local regulators sales of meters so they can charge you to come out to
test them (for a fee) every year to make sure they are accurate. Funny
the utility companies never do that... anyway I wanted list members to
know about Texas Meters policy so you have the choice of not supporting
that kind of thing by not buying from them.

Then, this morning I got a courtesy call from Austin Instruments
(803-628-0035). They also sell meters and were apologizing for a problem
with their web page not delivering e-mail from customers. I had e-mailed
them about meter purchases several months back and never heard from
them, so bought from Texas Meters instead. They also sell used kWh
meters, but at only $15.00 each and they do NOT report sales to local
authorities.

I thought you might like to know about the HUGE difference between these
2 companies that sell reconditioned kWh meters. For me it is a no
brainer who I will be buying from in the future!

Todd

"Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar" wrote:

> I know we've talked about this before but would others please share
> their sources for utility style kWh meters.
>
> Thanks is advance.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm