crisis intervention commentary [RE-wrenches]

Bruce Geddes b.geddes at clear.net.nz
Sat Aug 16 13:21:35 PDT 2003

Hi Keith and others.  The USA is not the only place grappling with these
issues.  Here in good ol New Zealand we instigated a reform on the power
industry back in 1993 which saw the emphasis go to short term profits.
Since then all new power generation has come from gas turbines in a country
where hydro used to account for >80% of generation.  Now down to somewhere
around 50-60%.  No upgrade of the national grid to meet increased demand.

In the renewable industry we are also facing problems getting utilities to
accept grid intertie.  Being a much smaller country, our hope is to get a
nationwide protocol in place at governmental level to set the rules.  It is
a battle and the situation that has occured in your parts gives us strength
to fight our battle.

Hopefully this will be a great opportunity for you also to push renewables
and energy efficiency.  I also use the approach of "payback" for other
lifestyle symbols but you can only lead a horse to water.......

Cheers,
Bruce