New York and 1547 now [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 14 17:19:56 PDT 2003

Two years ago I gave a speech in New York City related to energy
reduction techniques for commercial buildings.  After the program
ended, two engineers came up to me with name badges from Con Edison.
I had hit their "hot button" when I mentioned the future
un-reliability of the utility grid and major increases in demand
charges (and how to reduce them).

Anyway, they said the New York, New England, Canada areas have plenty
of power generation capacity (this was in the fall 2001), but that
there was only one major grid line that connected everything together
and they were running over 110% design capacity on this inter-connect
high voltage line EVERY summer.  These were two very concerned senior
utility engineers, and they said it was only a matter of one year
before "New York would make California power problems look like a
minor blip".

Maybe if the public was told how the utilities are putting every road
block they can in the way of alternative energy we could make a
difference........ na, who am I kidding.

Jeff Yago

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm