Ground a metal roof? [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windy at dankoffsolar.com
Thu Jul 24 22:23:40 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
>Windy,
>
>We do a fair amount of Unisolar installs here, so the roof grounding
>question comes up a lot. Theoretically, metal roofs under the PVL's become a
>default solar panel, which means they MUST be grounded. If you have a system
>mounted to any part of a metal building, that part of the building has to
>also be grounded.

I'm looking for general advice, not specific to Uni installs.

>The real pain in the patootie is, that to effectively ground a metal
>structure, all the components should (logically) be bonded to ground. That
>means running copper to every damn piece of the building if you want the
>grounding to be effective. Simply relying on the very imperfect bonding
>effect of fasteners is, regrettably, not the way to go.
>
>Matt T

If you are looking for perfection in grounding, find a metal planet.
I'm wondering if a reasonable attempt is advisable, without going
overboard.

Maybe somebody with remote telecom experience will have some
conventional wisdom on this.

Windy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com