PV north facing in US [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Wed Jul 23 17:40:38 PDT 2003

Hi Doug, The street name was changed in Photoshop.

I would NEVER install a solar panel facing north in So Cal.  If you look
at the performance of solar water heaters on tract homes the water in
the north facing systems will be approximately the same as ambient, when
the south facing systems are HOT.  Maybe the photon absorption on PV
modules is completely different than thermal collectors, but as a solar
guy it seems wrong to install solar panels facing north.  Am I wrong?

Graham