Housekeeping: past messages on CD or ?? [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch michael_welch at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 9 20:09:57 PDT 2003

Hello gang. Jason Fisher came up with the original idea to start this list almost 4 years ago. He now has a suggestion that I think has lots of merit. He notes that the RE-Wrench list is approaching its 4 year anniversary, and is interested in seeing all 12,500 messages being put on a CDRom in some kind of searchable format.

Right now, I have every message ever sent in two Eudora mailboxes (total file size of the mailboxes and tables of contents files are about 57 MB). Of course, it would be easy for me to give folks those mailboxes, but that does not help those that aren't using Eudora.

Jason suggests that if each message were a text file, then they would be easily searchable, much more so than searching the Topica archives (which often flat out does not work).

I was thinking that if we could parse out the threads, and put each thread in one file, that would make it easy to search. There would still be thousands of files. But, I am not sure how to go about something like this. Almost any way we would do this would require some kind of programming either of a Eudora Plugin or a stand-alone application that would build these files. It is just too big of a task to do by hand.

If you are interested in us pursuing this idea, please contact me off list with your suggestions, needs, and any problems you see. I will then present to the group the results of our off-list conversations, and we can go from there.

Here are some immediate questions that come up.
1. If there are costs involved, how do we handle this?
2. Do we include everyones' email addresses in the files?
3. Would a CD be best, or would it be enough to have the files on your hard drive, with them delivered to you in a compressed format?

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com