Induction motor on Trace DR series [RE-wrenches]

Mr. Sharkey sharkey at eugeneweb.com
Tue Jul 1 22:45:37 PDT 2003

Thanks for the replies, both on-list and off. Seems like the consensus is
that the 1.5Kw DR series will be a bit small for the job.

We'll be finding out about that tomorrow, as I have the inverter "on
approval", and will assemble the pump enough to cycle some fuel through it
for a test. First we'll plug into the SW2512 (running on 2,000 Ah of lead
acid) to get some idea of DC draw under sinewave, then assemble the DR
system using a pair of venerable, but stout T105's that I have around for
such projects. They will still supply enough current to cold start my
Cummins 262 turbo diesel, so I think that a ½ AC motor shouldn't be too
much of a load for them.

One part I left out is that this retail delivery system is installed on a
vehicle, so if battery SOC becomes an issue after an extended pumping
session, the truck's engine can be started (from a separate cranking
battery) and the RE system voltage raised to assist the inverter's startup
load.

The motor's output speed is reduced at the pump's input shaft via v-belt
pulleys, and since the pump doesn't have to start against any pressure
(unlike, say, an air compressor), I'm hoping for the best.

Anyone interested in the results?

-Sharkey

"History has never been kind to people who fail to control their leaders"
-Mark Stanley

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm