DC load on PV side [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Thu Jun 19 19:41:08 PDT 2003

Yo sunwise,

It's interesting that Todd was the only respondent to your question. Maybe
most wrenches are just in it for the grid connect topics? I sure hope not.
Maybe everybody on the list is at the MWREF? Except us, that is.

This is an interesting question but maybe the answer is to keep all the DC
loads on the load side of the controller? That way all those sensitive
goodies won't get clobbered and fried (as fast).

I just went through a "thing" with an ETA pump and a Wattsun tracker (which
could have been avoided by actually reading the instructions from Dankoff!);
every time the tracker motor started the pump stopped. There was seemingly
plenty of extra Wattage to go around, but the ETA controller didn't like the
action one bit. I also ran a circuit from the batteries (a twelve volt bank
with a DC/DC converter) to the tracker, which is something I usually do
anyway, but the previous Sunrise pump ran fine (until it broke of course)
with the array powered tracker. Who knew?

This is why Dankoff is selling their "ETA Track" system with a passive
tracker.

Matt T