Different systems vs the same system (Was Conduit insidethe tracker pole) [R

mlafferty at universalenergies.com mlafferty at universalenergies.com
Tue Jun 17 12:05:27 PDT 2003

John / All:

In my original post to this topic, I intentionally left "Inverter" out
of my DC/AC reference... Perhaps I should have expounded.  The primary
reason I mentioned the DC/AC thing is because it's something that needs
to be known, and in my opinion, addressed in NEC 2005, as related to
inverter AC wiring.  I think it needs to say "It's OK to do that".

I don't know why it is that Non-PV DC is allowed in the same raceway as
AC????  I can't run 120 and 480 in the same conduit....  Why is it that
PV is excluded anyway???

The key clue for me to bring it up was in Ken H's original post.  His
client "Has Big Sign Experience".  I can see a case where they might
want to team up in the future and install Arrays on Sign Poles... If the
Sign is AC powered, they should be aware of this issue.  Otherwise, they
would essentially be installing "the wires to the washing machine" in
the same raceway.  Just trying to make sure they don't end up in a jam
somewhere along the way....

Technically speaking, the NEC regards each side of a transformer as a
separate system BTW.  In the case of the Inverter AC and DC in the same
raceway without a barrier separation, this is "technically" not allowed
unless "listed for the purpose".  As we know, there's a big difference
between NEC and Listing... Listing can make just about anything OK.  LOL

Two Palms and a Hammock!

Matt Lafferty
Universal Energies Institute
mlafferty at universalenergies.com