GC-1000 warranty [RE-wrenches]

John Berdner jberdner at sma-america.com
Thu Jun 5 15:49:35 PDT 2003

Matt T,

One of our customers found an insurance company who writes policies to
cover the warranty in the event the manufacturer defaults.
I don't remember the name of the company but it seems reasonable that
this type of thing would be available.

In Europe companies are required to post bonds to cover that type of
thing.
It isn't a PV specific issue but one of the fundamental issues of being
in business.
The idea of a bond here in the US sounds good to me but here too it
would have to extend beyond PV.
There is nothing inherently unique about our industry that does not
apply to other industries and companies that go under.
I honestly can't see it happening in the US anytime soon since this
would be a fundamental change in business regulations.

Best Regards,

John Berdner

>>> solarone at charter.net 6/4/2003 08:57:47 PM >>>
Mark,

Don't you think that requiring manufacturers to post a bond, big enough
cover this kind of problem, would be enough of a dis-incentive to most
manufacturers that many would simply opt out? Requiring a 5 year
guarantee
for electronic equipment has seemed like a utopian vision that could
only
possibly make sense to bureaucrats who have never made a thing in
their
lives (other than paperwork of course).

Of course, even with a 2 year warranty, Advanced Energy inverters
would
still have plenty of big problems.

Matt T

- - - -