cost per kWh [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Mon Jun 2 17:34:52 PDT 2003

John,

I don't disbelieve your numbers. I don't disbelieve my numbers either.

Night time battery charging losses are a number that is based on the size of
the array if you want to do a percentage. Using the original design of the
array going into a single inverter puts the night losses at around 5% over
four years of testing. A much higher number than I would like to see. It
would be 10% using the array split the way it is now. A very small array
would produce your 20% number. Also, the type of battery makes a difference.
I have seen Johnson Controls gel batteries sucking huge amounts of power at
float and could be easily 20% of output. Dual inverter systems never work
very well and have even higher night time losses.

I don't spend a lot of time tracking my winter voltage because I have a flat
array and most of my energy is delivered in the 9 other months.

Max Power Tracking may separate more in the winter, but my system
compensates for low battery temperature and boosts the operating voltage.
Since so little energy is generated at cold temperatures here in the Central
Valley of California, I don't see max power tracking making a big difference
on this array. Higher fill factor arrays, yes. That has been my point all
along. We have to define what we are comparing before we can make broad
statements on performance. I really like the SunnyBoy and think it is doing
a very good job of array utilization. It is clearly beating the SW--it's all
a question of how much at this point.

I think it would great for you and/or Kent and Marv to come by and see my
systems in operation. It may be the most efficient grid-connected battery
based system in the world (maybe). I know getting rid of the current
sloshing in the inverter boosted the inverter efficiency 8-10 percentage
points (I'm blissfully ignorant of any anti-islanding detection impacts).

I will gladly share my data with you guys, and would love to see your data
since I know it is good quality data. These are very important issues and
need to be discussed fully to come up with the real story on how to optimize
any system's performance. My data is far from conclusive, but I have been
living with this system and watching it work for a long time so I feel I can
speak confidently about it's capabilities.

Your data suggests that the operating mode of newer SWs have much lower
performance than my system and that is why I qualified my statements. The
type of battery, the version of the inverter, and the operating setup can
all have a big difference. The array we tested for you on the SW had the
battery box in the garage. That will also tend to run the array at a lower
voltage in winter, increasing the differential. We need to figure out where
exactly the energy is going in these systems.

Bill.