Penetration free standing seam clamps [RE-wrenches]

Jeffery Wolfe, Global Resource Options jeff at globalresourceoptions.com
Wed May 28 17:11:04 PDT 2003

Nick,

We've used the S5 clips on standing seam roofs with UniRac and Tile Trac.
Both are fine. The S5 clamps have enough different holes to accommodate
anything (almost).

There is the issue of the extra point load wind uplift. S5 includes a nice
note about having a structural engineer review all installations. We try to
make sure the roofer has installed "a bunch" (no more scientific than that,
and it does leave me feeling a little "out there") of roof pan hold downs.
Then we install a LOT of S5's. One every rib if we have any doubts, or at a
minimum one every other rib. At $6 a whack, it adds up.

It's a nice system, but I think using a UniRac at a maximum spacing, or even
going to the heavy duty rail to really reduce penetrations, is a better,
cheaper, more sure method.

Matt,

I have not seen the lower labor costs on UniSolar PVL's. Actually, higher
labor costs. Similar overall costs because their is no rack to buy. But each
panel takes my crew of 3 about 20 minutes to laminate and apply a junction
box to (There is a LOT of rolling the laminate out to make it stick well if
you follow (and you better) UniSolar's directions.  A lot slower than
popping racks onto a roof.

I'm not against (and am sometimes for) the UniSolar PVL's, but one reason is
NOT for the labor savings.

Jeff
Jeffery D. Wolfe, P.E.
Principal
Global Resource Options, LLP
A Woman-Owned Limited Liability Partnership
4 Kibling Hill Road
P.O. Box 161
Strafford, VT 05072
800-374-4494 Toll Free