Marketing Issue [RE-wrenches]

Bill Loesch, Saint Louis Solar bill_loesch at compuserve.com
Wed May 21 08:33:47 PDT 2003

Wrenches,

Thanks for your comments, it is enlightening to see the focus of different
elements in the RE community.

Let me suggest one (IMHO) historical based scenario using the following
criteria:

1)  As goes California (failures excluded), so goes (eventually) the
nation.
2) WalMart, (Home Depot, etc.) rules.

Eventually, one or more manufacturers/distributors sell to the Big Box. If
there is any installer out there that thinks they can compete on price with
the Big Box, please don't waste any more of your time reading further. For
those of you still with me, How can we promote our strengths of technical
expertise, experience and familiarity with local conditions? More power to
David and Roy for their efforts, and hopefully continued success, to
explain why they were charging list price for their equipment. From a
practical matter, Daryl and Joel are the forward looking folks; pay more
for my equipment or pay more for my service - because there ain't no such
thing as a free lunch.

Smitty is right that the _same_" solar trolls/sluts/pimps" (I love the
creativity) won't be there tomorrow, but they will be replaced with at
least an equal number of similar folks.

Moreover, for this RE thing to go mainstream, HD is probably not the worst
venue.

Who gets credit for -  the only constant is change? You might not like
competing with HD but its coming (already in CA) then the solar discount
dot commers will look like ripoff artists when compared to HD.

Thanks for your indulgence,

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar

- - - -