Marketing Issue [RE-wrenches]

David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light ipl at sover.net
Fri May 16 07:07:25 PDT 2003

Joe Schwartz, Home Power Wrote:
<<I have to question the reasoning behind keeping Home Power out of the
hands of potential customers in an effort to shelter them from a
couple of pages of discount pricing. These days, most people buying
PV in the U.S. have computers, and access to an endless supply of
cheap RE gear if they want it.>>

People who shop the internet for the lowest prices are not my customers. I'm
talking about people who are my customer base that are already in my shop.
When they see inverters in your ads costing $450 less than the list price I
am charging them they do get upset, it is only human nature and I can't
blame them for their reaction. Same thing with PV modules sold at near cost.
Years of experience in dealing with people in retail sales has formed my
decision on this subject. I will not carry Home Mag unless the wholesale
pricing ads are eliminated. It is purely a rational business decision on my
part.

<<The bottom line is that the only folks that can ultimately control
discount pricing, if they choose to, are
the manufacturers.>>

I believe HP could reject these ads if they wanted to. For example they do
not have to print ads from Budweiser or Marlboro if they don't want to. And
they don't have to print pornographic pictures that an advertiser might want
to include in advertising copy. And they do not have to allow discount
pricing in the ads they accept for publishing. Just because something is on
the internet does not mean it is OK for you to publish it in your magazine.

Sincerely,
Dave Palumbo

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com