Marketing Issue [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Thu May 15 08:52:16 PDT 2003

Kurt and David,

This is probably not the place to trash Homepower (all things considered!)
for their marketing policies, but I agree with you completely. I don't
believe that turning your customers on to HP is a very wise move if you
actually plan on selling them something.

HP has very nicely done articles and editorials that seem to be primarily
targeted toward the do-it-yer-selfer, which dovetails nicely with the
plethora of ads from the McSolar guys in the mag. If your intent is to offer
in-depth technical information without the unwanted written SPAM, probably
the best technical publications available are Photons (Germany), and Solar
Today. Both publications are nearly devoid of ads from the Solar Trolls.

Then there's the internet. There's just no way to avoid your customers
getting unwanted propaganda if they're looking for it (or even if they
aren't), so ya just have to have that "value added" service that only a
local business can provide to sell your product. I recently found myself
lowering my margin to almost 0 just to keep a deal out of the hands a
cut-rate internet outfit from Tennessee, and I'm in California! It's hard to
be a mom and pop business when Wal-Mart comes to town.

Matt T