SMA Windy Boy Status [RE-wrenches]

Kent Sheldon kentsheldon at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 14 11:15:29 PDT 2003

Jeff, I'll let John answer the Sunny Island question, but I'll take the
Windy Boy question since it has been my baby for some time.

INRE: Windy boy: They are available! We have been shipping Windy Boy
inverters to various wind turbine distributors. These are actually Sunny
Boy 2500U/1800U inverters with special turbine software installed at our
factory. I know that Southwest Windpower, African and Proven are all
flying their turbines in the US with WB2500s. In order to maintain one
hardware design for many turbines, we have taken the approach that it is
the responsibility of the turbine manufacturer to protect the DC input
to the inverter. This places the burden upon the turbine manufacturer to
limit the DC current and voltage within the nameplate ratings on the
inverter.

At this time we are only selling this version of the Sunny Boy to
turbine manufacturers or their primary distributors. The inverter has
software configuration parameters that need to be set to optimize the
power curve with the turbine alternator. Therefore, we only want these
inverters to be sold as a kit with the turbine they are configured to
work with.

I am personally very excited to finally provide a truly grid tied wind
turbine that does not have to be connected to a battery inverter system.
Removing the batteries from the system, as well as providing a high
efficiency inverter will result in 40-50% greater energy capture from
the wind. This, of course, greatly improves the financials of the
system, as well as the reliability. And you don't have to deal with the
lead.

Please contact your turbine distributor or myself offline for further
information. Regards,
Kent Sheldon
Projects Manager, Industrial Power Systems
SMA America
ksheldon at sma-america.com
530 271 1821 Office

- - - -