300V DC Power Supply? [RE-wrenches]

steve at windandsun.co.uk steve at windandsun.co.uk
Tue Apr 29 10:02:24 PDT 2003

We use a 'home brew' power supply which I put together to test the
'Windy Boy' (a version of the SWR-2500 which we developed for use
with 2.5kW Proven wind turbines) in times of no wind. We now use this
for SWR-2500 bench testing and inverter parameter verification & set-
up. We use a PV array for the smaller Sunny Boy inverters.
This power supply consists of a 12VDC:230Vac sine wave inverter (a
Studer AJ201) run from a 12V battery. Output goes to a full-wave
bridge rectifier which then gives ~ 300VDC as input for the
Sunny/Windy Boy.
I was fairly nervous about switching on, and I don't know if SMA would
approve, but it works fine.
I guess you could get suitable inverters in the US from AEE, or use a
120 Vac inverter 1:2 transformer then the rectifier.

I hope this is useful,
Cheers
Steve
Wind & Sun Ltd