Batteries on Concrete [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Sun Apr 27 17:02:09 PDT 2003

Batteries on Concrete Folks:

I believe the temperature gradiant in the battery is the most significant
problem with concrete. However, something that nobody has mentioned yet is
acid providing a path to ground. As batteries boil electolyte, they can form
a path for current to ground with the acid. This is very evident at high
voltages, but still occurs slowly at low voltages.

That being said, when someone asks about putting batteries on concrete it
makes me wonder whether the batteries are properly enclosed. I've seen too
many batteries just sitting there, unprotected, to not ask the question.

Bill.