Where is Ground Clamps [RE-wrenches]

Dean T. Newberry deant at dcn.org
Fri Apr 25 19:25:57 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
Great point Eric,

    The KC120's in my garage have two tiny wood screws run through a
drilled chamfered hole into the plastic alignment boss on the J-box. It
is not a great stretch to consider using a different screw that would
also attach the ground lug.
    Or, the manufacturer could issue a technical service bulletin (like
the air plane mechanics get) recommending/ requiring using that hole for
attaching the ground lug with a  #12 x 3/4" self drilling Stainless
flange screw. I am assuming that the tiny little wood screw is used for
the fabrication process and once the adhesive for the J-box adhesive is
cured, the screw is no longer required, or that the screw would be an
appropriate change-out item for securing the J-Box.
    An alternative would be to change the extrusion die for the frame to
include a groove ~1/32" wide, at position approved for using a self
driller for attaching the ground lug, ie provide a line for a drill
target instead of a couple of holes.
    All of this discussion of course is predicated on the proposition
that the self drilling screw cuts the resistive anodized coating and
provides an adequate ground path from the frame to the lug, and that the
clutch on the driver is set to not strip out the cut in threads.
    All of the installation parameters can be set out in the service
bulliten, so that the insurance adjusters can determine who's at fault
when little Johnnie gets a fatal zap from peeing on his neighbors solar
panels.
    Presumably all certified, licensed, registered, bonded, insured
solar manufacturers, contractors and their solar installation employees
will be on the distribution list for this "Solar Technical Service
Bulletin", and will never be in a position to be liable for damages,
whereas everybody else.......

cul  Dean T. Newberry

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm