Where is Ground Clamps [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 21 18:10:16 PDT 2003

Even if solar modules have good grounding screws, we still have to run a ground
wire from module to module. I can imagine a smart solar module manufacturer and a
smart mount manufacturer working together to develop a mount with a UL listed
ground/attachment. A bolt, a nut, a star washer. Cooperation works.

Jeff Clearwater wrote:

> Hey Jay,
>
> That grounding screw and approved grounding hole from Sharp is a
> joke.   Good example of the disconnect between some designer in some
> office in Sharp, the Code,  and good common sense professional
> installation practices.  If I'm going to ground something to handle
> the 15 amps required and not have it corrode for the life of the
> system, then any electrician knows the difference between a 15 amp
> solid connection and a manufacturer's ground screw that's only use is
> for the miscellaneous bolts recycling container!
>
> I use 1/4" SS button hex head screws - coarse thread -  on the block
> style Aluminum ground lugs with SS external star washers that dig
> into the sides of the oval mounting hole (not the "approved ground
> hole") on the Sharp panels really well.  Tourqed to 10 foot lbs they
> are a far superior ground to any silly 1/16" machined slotted head
> screw that you can barely get a driver on.  I run a continuous 8
> gauge solid CU to every panel down the one continuous line created by
> any unused mounting hole set.
>
> If that voids my UL warranty well then it's the industry that has to
> change - not my practices.  I'm glad to stretch for Code compliance
> but not when it's ridiculous!
>
> Jeff C.
> Village Power Design

- - - -