US versus DE installation costs [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Sun Apr 20 22:55:50 PDT 2003

Colleagues:

I'm not so sure I would want to down grade our standards.  Remember the SB
50 that went up in flames?  Well there's this little code section that
deals with PV on dwelling roof tops.  You see, it requires that we put in
ground fault protection.  If that system had been installed with ground
fault protection, we would not have had a fire.

Every year, I suppose hundreds of children die in electrical fires, world
wide, if not nation wide.  Do we want to increase that number?  I say:
let's evaluate each code section on a case by case basis, but let's not
throw them all out and set ourselves up for disaster.

Sure, I bet it's cheaper to install PV in most third world countries, but
do you want that type of wiring in your child's bedroom?  I don't!

I am making it a point to comply with the code because every time I
question any one section, I am informed of a reason that section is there.
I just don't have the resources to second guess the experts, and I'm not
going to do shoddy work!

William Miller

At 09:07 AM 4/20/2003 +0400, you wrote:

> [...]

William Miller
Miller Power and Communications
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600     Fax: 805-438-4607
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
http://millerpowerandcomm.com
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP10
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 10
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
                                    H. L. Mencken

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com