meet the governor [RE-wrenches]

Jeffery Wolfe, Global Resource Options jeff at globalresourceoptions.com
Sun Apr 20 22:18:46 PDT 2003

Yes,

I was actually "there" on Tuesday. But we actually got 45 minutes with Gov.
Douglas.

BUT,

They are all always receptive. They will all always sign anything that
breeches the door. They also can all stop anything they do not want (almost)
from breeching their door. They have a little (lot?) less ability to make
something they do want come to their door. But many will tell you they love
what you're doing, but they cannot support it because "if the opposition
knows I want it, they'll hold it hostage", or "money's tight this year", or
"I haven't heard from our constituents about this issue", or....

So glad you had a good meeting. That's the easy part. NOW, go fight in the
trenches. Line up 20 State House reps that REALLY support you, from both
sides of the aisle. Get involved in drafting the bill before the session
begins. Get the naysayers into the same room with you when you're drafting
the bill, and have them work on it until they can support whatever is agreed
to in the room.

If you do all that, you'll have a chance at getting something. We did all
that, and more, in Vermont, and currently our main bill is "stuck" in the
House Appropriations Committee. Word this weekend from one of the top
lobbying firms is that the bill is "dead". Even with agreement from every
group that would be affected. Apparently the Speaker of the House (a former
oil man, yes even in Vermont) doesn't like it. (Didn't like it last year,
why should he like it this year?)

So now we need to go out and start working REALLY hard, to hit the press,
the state house cafeteria,  the lobbyists' offices. Who needs a real job?
Who needs a pay check? Who needs the NEC to slow our work down? Two years
after we get incentives, if we ever do, I might make enough back to pay for
the time and mileage spent on the effort. I should just start giving the PV
stuff away at cost, I'd be further ahead!

(Ok, rant off, I was pretty good for a while. Time for some sleep. I'll be
better in the morning.)

But really even without the rebates, we are pushing our industry ahead in
the northeast. Our business, and our industry, is growing. It all plays.
Keep fighting.

Jeff