New Interesting installation [RE-wrenches]

William Korthof wkorthof at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 18 21:02:49 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
We've placed over 100 of the 2500 "big boys" and 3 "baby boys" in the field.
Plus several dozen brand X inverters. The "send back" rate on a certain
well known brand X model is now around 1.5 returns per 1 customer inverter.
However, with a different well known line of brand X inverters (w/ battery),
the return rate remains at zero.

SMA seems to fall in the middle... we've seen a send back rate of up to
20%, which seems to have remained very consistent over the last year.
One nice thing about the SMA failures is that they almost always become
apparent within hours of startup, and stop decisively (no fading operation
like the brand X model S_ units...). FYI, I did see one DOA 2500U unit;
complete with a smoking circuit board (bad resistor?!!). [Smoking inverter:
it must not have been destined for California ;-/  ...We definitely don't like
any failure rate...and we now carry at least one "spare" to most job sites
to be ready... but SMA service and durability (on the units that pass infant
mortality) seems to be excellent.

/wk

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm