Learning about Direct Coupling [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Tue Apr 15 16:28:39 PDT 2003

Brad Bassett wrote:

> My understanding is that NexTek has a controller/inverter they use for
> the interface with the grid power. I would just ask them.

The idea of the Next Tek was to "mix" the PV power with utility power to
operate the lighting loads of a commercial building. The inverter would
be cheaper and the issues of anti-islanding and dedicated transformers
are reduced.

Many of the electronic ballasts can actually operate directly on high
voltage DC BTW.  There was a system done this way in the mid 90s back
east by Richard Perez (not of HomePower but NY) which was funded by NREL
etc. Never saw the results however.

Its probably one of those good solutions looking for a problem kinda
things....

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com