Grid-Tie Stumper (for me) [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 15 11:25:21 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
Jay and all,

What's emerging from this discussion is that your method doesn't work
with the new electronic  remote-read meters even if they have the
mechanical counters on the front and the mechanical counters read
backwards when you do that test - the internal sensor just counts
passes regardless of direction and continues to count up -which is
mostly likely Mo's situation and what others of us are running into
as well.  I'm busy checking meter model numbers on my systems and
doing some research on meter types.  I'm noticing that some of the
mechanical meters with electronic remote-read sensor have an obvious
electronic add-on gizmo located in the front of the meter clearly
visible.  But some appear to have the unit on the backside of the
plate.

jc

>Hi All,
>
>Here is one really easy way to figure out what is the problem. I had to do
>it for one customer.
>
>Just go when the sun is shinning.  Turn off most of the loads in the house.
>read the meter, wait for a while and then check to see the meter is actually
>counting down.  If its not then thats your problem.
>
>With an array that big shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour to make sure.
>
>jay
>
>peltz power
>
>- - - -

>List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

>Hosted by Home Power magazine

Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design Associates
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village

Office:  (413) 256-6777,  Cell: (720)480-8455
Fax:  (413) 825-0372
61 Baker Road
Shutesbury, MA 01072;
PO Box 764
Boonville, CA  95415
(707) 895-9015

Council Member - Ecovillage Network of the Americas - http://www.ecovillage.org
Advisory Board - Living Routes - Ecovillage Education -
http://www.livingroutes.org
Founder:  Ecovillage Research, Development, and Demonstration Program:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~clrwater/RDD/rdd.html

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com