Learning about Direct Coupling [RE-wrenches]

Mark Robinson Mark at TheEnergyGrid.com
Tue Apr 15 06:58:59 PDT 2003

I need to become an 'instant expert' on Direct Coupling of PV to lighting
loads in commercial buildings. Has anybody had any experience with this?
Anybody want to learn with me?

NexTek Power creates an AC/DC ballast that powers flourescent lighting on AC
or DC.

Efficiency Concerns: No Inverter increases efficiency. Getting power from
the panels at low light, before an inverter would kick on. More efficient
ballasts. What kind of low power losses are we seeing in panels before the
inverter comes on?

Installation Concerns: No Grid-tie approvals. What about DC wiring? DC
switching?

Other concerns?

Will welcome any feedback on or off-list.

Thanks,
Mark Robinson
The Energy Grid
Mark at TheEnergyGrid.com