Service contracts [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Mon Apr 14 20:46:45 PDT 2003

We tried fixed-price contracts, but found it unworkable--too hard to
identify what's included, what's not.

We have about a dozen clients who want us to perform regular inspection and
maintenance. Usually 2X, a few 4X/year. Both on-grid and off, but all
battery-based. Two are Y2K clients with generator/battery/inverter and no
solar. We keep a reminder schedule, and call them as the time approaches to
confirm that they want the visit. Then it's a standard service call, T&M at
usual service rates according to the work performed and time spent. This
seems to have worked out the best for them and us. They tend to be "fill-in"
jobs, as long as the date is about right. After the first call or two, the
client knows about what to expect as far as what is done and what we charge.
We have developed some pretty good forms for work order, daily service log,
and seasonal maintenance, and the client always gets a copy with the bill.

I suspect that another dozen or so would take us up on seasonal maintenance
if we had thought to ask them!

Allan at Pos Energy