Grid-Tie Stumper (for me) [RE-wrenches]

Mo Rousso mrousso at heliopower.com
Sun Apr 13 23:12:16 PDT 2003

Wrenches,

I¹ve encountered a situation that puzzles me.

Around 2 months ago, I went on a service call to investigate a system whose
performance was not meeting the homeowner¹s expectations.  This system was
installed by another company and I had no knowledge of the installation
prior to my visit.

The system is composed of 1 SMA SWR2500U-SBD and 10 BP Solar SX-150S.  The
owner claimed that their utility bill actually increased with the solar
system operating.  I read their bills and the latter bills were indeed
higher.  I looked at the meter and it appeared to be able to spin backwards
without a problem.  Putting my trusty Fluke on the usual inverter terminals
and wires showed appropriate numbers.

I suggested that we needed to collect some data over the next billing period
or two.  I suggested that we call Edison and request a physical meter read
since it was conceivable that due to their locked gate and large dog
estimated reads were occurring.  I further suggested that once the physical
read was done, that the PV system be turned off and we collect some baseline
data.  I was suspicious that their energy habits had changed and that their
consumption had increased.  I asked them to be cognizant of their energy
usage patterns and not to make any changes during the course of our trials.
At the start of the next billing cycle, they were to continue using power in
the same manner as the preceding billing period, but with the PV system back
on.  Well, that period is now over and the bills are significantly higher
again!  They are considering having their PV system removed from their home
‹ not too cool.

Any suggestions on other avenues to explore?  Could the PV system
installation have caused some sort of path for those pesky electrons to
disappear down?  Are aliens to blame??? :)

Thanks in advance for any guidance ‹ I appreciate the collective wisdom
available here.  I need to return to the home this coming week.

Mo

--
Mo Rousso
President