MM5 troubleshooting [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 9 13:35:32 PDT 2003

"I think it is humorous that she chose to install a six thousand dollar
inverter dedicated to run a hot water heater, just so that she doesn't have
to change over to propane.  When the hot water heater gets older, we intend
to change it over to propane..."

Although I would never use a pv system to power an electric hot water heater
due to the very high load, resulting short battery run time, and this is
much more expensive than any other way to heat water,  if you are looking
for a temporary solution until the heater is replaced, why not:

Replace 240 AC heating elements with DC elements
Install a load controller with adj. low voltage cut-off
Power hot water heater DC elements directly from battery bank (no AC
conversion losses).
Use inverter only to power "normal" lighting and appliance loads in house.

Just my 2 cents,

Jeff Yago

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com