finding those rafters... [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 25 07:41:54 PST 2003

<x-flowed>
Hi Todd,

I never trust silicone for roofing.  I've always used a black asphalt
mastic - I've tried a few brands from a few recommendations from
other wrenches but don't pretend to be a roofing expert or know for
sure that one is better than another.  What do the roofers out there
say is the best kind?  Most important is that you want any
exploratory holes under your rack feet.

jc

>In terms of "roof goop" are we talking about silicone of some kind of asphalt
>mastic?
>
>Todd
>
>Jeff Clearwater wrote:
>
>>  Mo and all,
>>
>>  If my also favorite tool of hammer knocking doesn't feel positive
>>  enough I do a few exploratory tiny drill holes from the best hammer
>>  knock (or best measurement) out to one side of the rafter. Then I
>>  take care to include those few 1/32" or smaller drill holes as part
>>  of my smear pattern for the roof goop (or force it in that hole with
>>  the tip of the caulk gun).  If the inside of the roof is accessible,
>>  you can put one worker in there with a strong flashlight and use one
>>  tiny drill hole purposely just off the stud and measure back -
>>  especially if your rack mount is running across the stud and you'll
>>  cover that spot anyway.  You can use that same reference hole to
>>  measure multiple rafters.  other ideas ?
>>
>>  Jeff C.
>>  Ecovillage Design
>
>- - - -

>List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

>Hosted by Home Power magazine

Jeff Clearwater
Ecovillage Design Associates - Whole Systems Design
Community and Village Scale Renewable Energy & Water Systems

Cell: 720-480-8455
Office:  866-480-8455
Fax:  720-528-7813
jeffc at ic.org

85 Baker Road
Shutesbury, MA 01072

PO Box 764
Boonville, CA  95415

Council Member - Ecovillage Network of the Americas - http://www.ecovillage.org
Advisory Board - Living Routes - Ecovillage Education -
http://www.livingroutes.org
Founder:  Ecovillage Research, Development, and Demonstration Program:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~clrwater/RDD/rdd.html

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com