Uplift Wind Loading Values [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Oldham starpower4u at juno.com
Wed Mar 19 10:58:04 PST 2003

I've run into this a lot actually, it can be very frustrating as the plan checkers are starting to get outside of their jurisdiction. They should only be concerned with attachment to the structure. From that attachment point on up it should not be part of the review. They never require this information for other roof mounted equipment like HVAC. Sure, they want to know how it is attached, but when it comes to how are those feet attached to the unit and how is the unit's chassis attached to the main frame/rails it is not their responsibility. However, they seem to want to go to that level with our mounts and inter-mount and PV attachment details with stamped calcs!

The magic number for UBC is 13#/sq.ft. more efficient lift than some airplane wings!! I guess it's not just gravity it's the law! In any case the inspectors and plan checkers should only be looking at lags/anchors and structural members as you stated.

Arruuggg! Good luck.
-jeff

Jeff Oldham

Only $9.95 per month!