dc-rated contactors [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Tue Mar 11 15:09:34 PST 2003

You can get DC rated mercury displacement relays fairly easily for 48
vdc systems.  I am sure connect energy or other would have them.  BE
SURE THEY ARE MADE TO SWITCH DC - not AC - as they use a different gas
internally (hydrogen for DC vs. helium for AC).  There has been reports
of contactors exploding (releasing mercury) when AC versions were
accidentally used.

For this reason you might also look at the Kilovac 200 amp 360 vdc UL
listed contactor.  I've seen them listed for about 80$ or so.  Very nice
product - but I have never seen a 48 vdc coil version.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com
Tel 360 435 6030  Arlington WA USA