Wire Clips [RE-wrenches]

clrwater at earthlink.net clrwater at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 23 17:19:42 PST 2003

Hey All,

Here's how we deal with all those MC wires.  Much better than clips.

http://home.earthlink.net/~clrwater/index.html

Peace,

Jeff Clearwater
Ecovillage Design

Wrenches:
I've been inquiring how to secure solar module interconnection wires
with MC connectors. Some installers use wire clips (fast but the clips
rust), some use UV treated plastic wire ties (low cost but only lasts a
few years), some use copper wire (long-lasting but some inspectors
fail
them), some let the wire hang (fast but rubs roof and catches debris).
Any better ideas?
Best regards,
Joel Davidson

Jeff at Global Resource Options writes:
I was thinking a push on style clamp, like the Del City product on page
http://www.delcity.net/wiremanagement.html (search for product
number
9610 "Body Clip") This is a push on, and has teeth that will dig into
the aluminum to keep it from sliding off (?) Never used one, so don't
know for sure, but it looks like the right thing. If I've got to drill
and screw, I'll just keep on using short zip screws to hold down a nylon
tie wrap pad, and then use tie wraps. Yes, we'll get degradation, but
from what I've seen, it's as good as any other solution; they all have
their problems. And either way I'm "voiding" UL as I'm drilling an
unauthorized hole in the frame.

Nick at Alternative Power Systems writes:
After referencing the Del City Catalog, I noticed that the aluminum wire
loom clamps need to be bolted or screwed to the module frames.  This
seems like a strong, long lasting solution for wire management,
however,
it can not be as quick as the steel clips being discussed.  A three Kw
Array can be clipped up in 15 minutes, and most of the wiring is not
visible, because it is hidden within the module frames.

Phil at Positive Energy writes:
Well, its not stainless, but Gardner Bender makes an aluminum J
shaped
clip called the EZ-Cable Clip. Available in 1/4" (i think) and 1/2".
Available at finer Home Depot stores near you! The GB clips, however,
can be screwed on the module frame before its set on the rack if you
so
desire.  Because they are an open J, the wire can be snapped in the
belly. A quick push with a screwdriver on a reverse bend on the belly
snugs the strap up to the wire. Kinda hard to describe, but obvious
once
you have seen one.

Doug Pratt at Real Goods writes:
Someone mentioned that Energy Outfitters and others are offering a
"clip" to support and retain the MC cables.
We've used neoprene jacketed aluminum wire loom clamps for the
past year
with good success.  Vendor is Del City, (800) 654-4757.  They also
have
a stainless steel version, if you need.  Their part #2808  (2008-9 in
stainless) is the perfect size to clamp an MC connector tight.
$12.30/100 in aluminum, $27.21 in stainless. (A UV-resistant zip tie
that's going to last 20 years? If you believe that, I've got a bridge to
sell you...) I've gone back to systems after 3 years in the New Mexico
sun and seen black "UV-resistant" zip ties snap when touched.  I've
also
seen the black plastic locknuts that ship with BP module cable glands
split into quarters on the same array. Mother Nature always wins.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

Archive of previous messages:

List rules & etiquette: