Outback MX60 query [RE-wrenches]

Lawrence Elliott larry at energyoutfitters.com
Fri Feb 21 01:53:17 PST 2003

My Mx60 has been on line now for over two months.

It replaced an RV boost.

On very cold and sunny days I have seen over %38 boost and with it wired
for 48 array and 24 bat it really seems to kick butt.
Does it "best" the RV in MPPT and boosting?
Too early to say yet.

But its added features for the price make it well worth it for me.
Such as;

I love the fact that I have a very detailed LCD display and can set
precisely the max current and voltage.

In one case I needed to limit my voltage to max 11.1 vdc and current to
no more than 10. I simply keyed it in even though I was feeding from a
1.6kw array at 57 volts and never saw it waver a tenth of a digit either
way. I installed an additional breaker in parallel with the output of
the MX 60 and when I need to charge from 12vdc to 48vdc and any voltage
in between I simply shut off the 24v breaker and then punch in the
voltage I need regulated on the other breaker.

I use an anderson plug on the output of the breaker so I don't even have
to get into the PSDC.

With the cooling fan the MX60  does what all regulators should do in
spite of engineers who insist that semiconductors are "rated" to run hot
enough to cook on. It keeps the temps way down for long life.

And with the aux output I can divert my excess power to my other load
which is something that creates a gas whose identity can be found by
looking on the periodic table in the first position.
I cannot mention it on this list so I won't but it can make use of the
same stuff used in those antique non solar steam engines we have been
discussing.

BTW if anyone wants to use the aux in a master/slave configuraton
connect to a Kilovac contactor and you can have 200 amps continuous and
2000 amps break at up to 200 volts with a hermetically sealed contact
and non inductive coils.Under $80.
Been working great for me.

Yes I really like the MX60 and probably will install in all high end off
grid or hybrid systems.

Larry Elliott