Incidence meters [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windy at dankoffsolar.com
Tue Feb 18 08:18:08 PST 2003

<x-flowed>
>Greetings Larry,
>
>Due in part to a series of posts on this list, I bought a Daystar hand
>held meter.  If I remember correctly it was around $130 delivered
>(www.raydec.com/daystar).
>
>I would like to hear about other experiences with this meter.
>
>I must say I have been impressed, or maybe even a little concerned, at
>how frequently the Daystar meter indicated a watts/m2 above 1,000 this
>last summer.  On a number of days where it felt really hot from a
>human/solar perspective, I pulled out the Daystar and it indicated we
>were receiving on the order of 1,200+ watts per sq. meter (Northern most
>point in WI, sometimes 4 hours past solar noon).  Is this what we should
>be seeing up here or might the meter be somewhat optimistic?
>
>Kurt Nelson

Kurt -- I'd be suspicious too, unless you were in a period of very
low humidity. I suggest you send it back to the factory and ask them
to recalibrate it if necessary.

Ours reads a bit over 1200 on a dry clear mid-day here in New Mexico.

I like the meter very much. It uses a polycrystalline silicon PV cell
as its sensor, so it sees what a PV array sees.

Windy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm