Todd Battery Chargers [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 14 11:34:26 PST 2003

<x-flowed>
Hi Scott and all,

In the electric vehicle conversion industry we use Todd chargers all
the time as DC>DC converters from 144VDC>12VDC (the input on the
older Todds could take DC or AC input).  Because they were vibration
and insect sensitive we blew alot of them up.  Below is a reference
from that list from a few years back.  Email him -  I imagine he's
still in bussiness:

At 4:14 PM -0700 9/22/01, Sharkey wrote:
>	Hi Jeff;
>
>	I do Todd charger repair if you're still interested. I do some
>modifications to older units to improve reliability, and can also provide a
>modification that will allow you to reduce the current output for initial
>battery charging. Some users who charge from small generators find this
>useful, as their gensets balk at full current until the battery is
>partially charged. This is usually more of a concern on RE power systems
>	As far as price goes, repairs can be as low as $45-60 if it is a simple
>repair. More complex rebuilds will range from $75-90, and really
>complicated diagnosis and repair of the master module and rebuilding of
>slave modules can push this as high as $130-150 excluding parts. The parts
>themselves are relatively inexpensive. I'm finding that many units have
>fairly simple repairs, but if you've heard explosions or seen smoke, it's
>not a good sign.
>	In any case, I would do some investigative testing to let you know
>beforehand what class of repair we would be looking at before putting any
>real labor into a charger.
>	Ship-to address:
>
>	R. Sparks Scott
>	C/O McKenzie River Broadcasting
>	925 Country Club Road Suite 200
>	Eugene, Oregon, 97401

>Does anyone know of a repair service for Todd battery chargers?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Scott
>
>Backwoods Solar Electric Systems www.backwoodssolar.com
>info at backwoodsssolar.com
>
>- - - -

>List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

>Hosted by Home Power magazine

Jeff Clearwater
Ecovillage Design Associates - Whole Systems Design
Community and Village Scale Renewable Energy & Water Systems

Cell: 720-480-8455
Office:  800-440-2523 (PIN-7071)
Fax:  720-528-7813
jeffc at ic.org

2525 Arapahoe Ave.
Boulder, CO 80302

PO Box 2255
Redway, CA 95560

Council Member - Ecovillage Network of the Americas - http://www.ecovillage.org
Advisory Board - Living Routes - Ecovillage Education -
http://www.livingroutes.org
Founder:  Ecovillage Research, Development, and Demonstration Program:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~clrwater/RDD/rdd.html

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com