Bush Hydrogen/Solar (was Real Industry) [RE-wrenches]

Lawrence Elliott larry at energyoutfitters.com
Sat Feb 8 04:18:31 PST 2003

At the risk of arousing  the sleeping giant who monitors this forum, if
anyone is interested in why solar PV actually makes more sense than wind
in supplying hydrogen ( dare I say the word since it seems to be taboo
in the RE world) contact me off list.
I have said for some years now that the RE world will live to regret the
day when renewable hydrogen derived from the only really practical
source (that being water) was seen as "innefficient"

Sorry Michael but hydrogen will simply need to be discussed and debated
and analyzed within the wrenches forum in some manner no matter what.
The Shrub will see to it that h2 comes from coal and nukes while we
continue to "pee in the ocean"

Rant off.

I think I just heard the giant.

Larry Elliott

BTW I posted a company profile on a fuel cell and hydrogen web site and
guess who was calling me within a week of posting.

Many of the bigger Cal PV intertie people who said that their customers
liked the grid ties they had but preferred to put them to work doing
something really valuable like powering their cars from h2.
Sorry but I'm just the messenger in this one.

> Antony,
>
> Actually, wind energy is by far the cheapest way to extract H from H2
0.
> Large turbines can produce the juice at under $00.06 per kWh; solar
comes no
> where close. As a matter of fact, wind is fast becoming cheaper to
generate
> power with than nuclear or gas, depending on the size of the
installation.
> Modern turbines are in the 1.5 to 3.0 megawatt range, so less space is
> required to produce the large amounts of energy required in the
process.

> I was thinking that the Western shore of a couple of the Great Lakes
would
> be the place.
>
> Matt T

- - - -