C40's and SW's [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 4 08:43:03 PST 2003

I use these initial settings to get systems with sealed batteries up and
running:
C40 Bulk 57
C40 Float 56
SW Bulk 56
SW Float 54
I don't bother with tenths of volts any more because meter tolerances are
plus/minus 2% to 5%. I usually have to fine tune the C40 Float. I had to
change my C40 Float setting to 57 volts after 4 years to get my system to
act like it did when the setting was 56 volts. In 1998, I started with 0.4
volt difference between C40 and SW float. A few years ago, I changed to 0.8
volt difference. Now, less than 1 volt difference does not give current a
good "downhill" flow from the PV array through the C40 and SW and into the
grid. A good rule of thumb is to set the Float difference as wide as
possible to avoid costly call-backs. Also offer customers an service call
option to perform annual field maintenance. (Do any former GIs remember
FITCAL?)

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com