LCD Problems (Was In praise of SMA) [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Wed Jan 22 16:53:30 PST 2003

<x-flowed>
Over the years I've observed that a lot of LCD displays seem to "die" at
hot or cold temperature extremes, or in direct sunlight, only to return to
normal once the extreme condition was removed.

I don't know if some LCD's are rated for better performance over wider
temperature ranges than the others, but I bet that's the case.  The problem
case I remember the best was with an old Keithley 130 handheld multimeter,
vintage 1980.  Everytime I took that sucker out in direct sun, I'd lose the
display in a matter of minutes.  Don't recall myself (or any other
wrenches) complaining about DMM displays that fritz, so I guess you can do
better these days.

Just an observation..

John Raynes
RE Solar