Quirky and amusing things... [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Wed Jan 15 18:10:02 PST 2003

At 12:49 PM 1/15/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>As for Bill's battery lap dance - Bill, we are all waiting for the
>punch line......
>
>Jeff Yago

So, since several have asked...

I have several 14.4 volt NiMh Makita batteries.  One was not taking a
charge.  It took me a few days to realize it was only one battery.  The
guys kept accusing me of failing to charge my batteries (anything to poke
fun at the boss, you know).  I would invariably grab this battery and hike
way up on a steep roof.  When I realized it was one battery, I kept an eye
on it while charging.  Half the time it would trigger the red/green
alternating error indication, half the time it would act normal in the
charger.  I took it out of the charger and it ran the drill very weakly.  I
held the chuck and after a moment, the drill was stronger.  After doing
this several times it got progressively stronger.  So I got comfortable
sitting on my tailgate while discharging the drill.  After about a minute,
the battery exploded like an M80 in my lap.  My ears were literally
ringing.  The bottom of the battery had a hole in it with a 6" piece of
mesh and some wire and MOV looking parts sticking out, sparking!  I was
working alone, so I dropped my trousers to assess the damage.  I got a
minor bruise just south of ground zero, but no permanent damage.

So why did this battery explode?  Any theories?  The moral: if your NiMh
battery is getting weak, point it away from your thingies!

William

William Miller
Miller Power and Communications
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600     Fax: 805-438-4607
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
http://millerpowerandcomm.com
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP10
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 10
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
                                    H. L. Mencken

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com