Bureaucracy - I think it should be California Bureaucracy right now [RE-wre

Mo Rousso mrousso at heliopower.com
Sat Jan 4 17:54:54 PST 2003

First of all, I agree wholeheartedly that we as a California Wrenches
community need to get together and fight against the threats to our
livelihood that are rearing their ugly heads in 2003.

Michael, if the sparks struck in this string of posts ignite something
larger and powerful (I hope), then you may want to consider sponsoring a
separate list for those of us in California who want to coordinate on this
thing.

I agree with Matt's fog-lifting thoughts.  Graham Owen and I were speaking
just yesterday about our perception that THE BIGGEST obstacle we face is the
Public Works and prevailing wages legislation that recently passed.  It has
a whopping potency to derail my business -- maybe permanently.

As a first step, those of us who are not members of CALSEIA need to join
ASAP.  CALSEIA provides us with a forum and PAID lobbyist in Sacramento.
Graham sits on the CALSEIA policy board and is seeking input to best
represent us wrenches.  We cannot abdicate this responsibility to others,
especially the manufacturers and utilities who have their own agendas.

As a second step, we as a community need to align ourselves around the
priority issues that need to be addressed when legislature reconvenes.  We
need to do this quickly and confidently -- presenting a united front to the
forces against us.  A topic specific list would greatly aid in this.

Once we identify those priority issues, we can craft the outcomes we desire,
laying out and executing actionable steps.  Just bitch and you die, that
simple.  This is WAR people.  And at least it is a war that we ALL should be
able to back.

This may be difficult for some of us.  After all, many of us became wrenches
because we cherish our fierce independence.  However, we need to focus and
find a way to channel the power of our ideals and zealousness to win this
war.  Our children are at stake.

To plagiarize -- "Pray for Sun"
 Mo
--