Uber-Tracker Query [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Sun Dec 21 19:21:19 PST 2003

Fellow Wrenches,
We have a job in the early stages (deposit received, components ordered) for
a 16 module BP5170 array on a Wattsun AZ-225 "Uber-tracker"--the big
one--with a SB2500D and all related equipment mounted on the tracker pole
(see
http://www.wattsun.com/products/wattsun_trackers/Wattsun_pole_mounted_service_panel.html).
This arrangement means that only the standard AC
line (and an unrelated water line to a greenhouse) is carried in buried
conduit back to the home service panel. The tracker pole is 8" Schedule 40
steel, 13' long, set in a 4X4 cube of concrete. The tracker is built in
place, and heavy, with a 175 lb. drive unit and a 220 lb. torque tube.

Who has done one or more of these installations? How did you set your pole
(which is way heavier and more awkward than a 6" pole)? How have you dealt
with moving, placing, and lifting these kinds of heavy objects? Simplicity
is key here--the job won't afford a crane rental, and we can get a service
truck into the site, but not a big truck.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Allan at Positive Energy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com