saddam perez found at al-gate flat (and 24/12 volt wind string) [RE-wrenches

RE wrenches Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Mon Dec 15 08:05:55 PST 2003

I thought the same thing when I saw the pics...

Hey - this just in... they also found lots and lots of weapons of mass
destruction... right there in Saddam's pockets! (and a note from ossama on
their plans together...)

Ay ay ay....  My best hopes are that this brings an end to this chapter
sooner rather than later...

Back on track -
Thanks to all on and offline feedback on my 24 volt into 12 volt post.  My
latest solution is going to be out of the box... actually getting rid of the
box!  The rectified DC coming down tower is 9-20 Volts much of the time in
out typical winds...  the wiz-bang Bergey charge center uses caps and
electronics to "boost" it up to 24 volts.  If we drop the control and
hardwire it into a 12 volt bank things will work (probably more
efficient/powerful at low wind speeds) with the big unknown being big wind.
Predicted behavior is a lot of noise and blade flutter at high wind speeds
feeding into a 14.4 bank instead of a 29 volt bank.  Would not be
recommended in big wind sites... I am going to try it here in this sub
optimal wind site in class 1-2 Ohio.  will report back.

for batt volt regulation I could go a few directions:  I need to divert 60+
amps at 24 volt OR I could open circuit the Bergey (standard) OR I could
depend on the inverters/relays and use an AC dump (too risky).  I could find
an old Ananda or Enermaxer Tapering Diversion Regulator, I think a buddy has
an old WPT controller with dump load (and fried rectifier diodes....) or
could do a voltage controlled switch with some heavy air heaters or open
circuit the genny (home brew).

Your thoughts?

Sincerely,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer TM
GLREA Certified Photovoltaic Systems Integrator/Installer License Number
0211-01

THIRD SUN SOLAR AND WIND POWER Ltd.
340 West State Street, Unit 25
Athens, OH 45701