Large residential system -DC genny [RE-wrenches]

RE wrenches Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Thu Dec 11 10:18:06 PST 2003

Another heads up about the DC genny would be distance and line losses at 48
volts VS 240.  I just (last night) fired up a surplus 28 VDC genny I picked
up to replace my STOLEN! little Honda 2.5 kw.  This hugely overbuilt 4
banger will certainly not walk off like the other one!  I will be buying
some 4/0 wire though... at 100 amps by 28 VDC this thing reminded me about
line loss as an issue in ALL circuits (duh)...  so, consider proximity to
the batts for any DC charging schemes....

Sincerely,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer TM
GLREA Certified Photovoltaic Systems Integrator/Installer License Number
0211-01

THIRD SUN SOLAR AND WIND POWER Ltd.
340 West State Street, Unit 25
Athens, OH 45701