Bellagio Fountain in Las Vegas [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Sun Dec 7 21:32:17 PST 2003

Turns out I made a couple of incorrect statements about the Bellagio
Hotel fountain in Las Vegas during the Energy OutfittersTech conference
last weekend...

Since many people at the show are on the wrenches list I thought I would
correct the error here.

It doesn't draw around one megawatt of power to operate like I had
stated - its uses about 5 times more power than that actually ...

Here's what it includes:

5800 - 575w halogen lights   -  3,335,000 watts total
211 - 7.5 hp water pumps - 1582 hp * 746W/hp = 1,180,545 watts (not
including the starting surge)
1500 hp of air compressors for the special effects
250 hp of air compressors for the fog system

The show lasts 5 minutes and it repeats on the hour.

This is all connected to a 7.5 megawatt utility service entrance which
is powered by Hoover Dam...  kinda ironic, huh?

Here is a link to the fountain designer's website if you didn't make the
show...  <http://www.wetdesign.com/client/bellagio/index.html>
http://www.wetdesign.com/client/bellagio/index.html

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems