green tags/renewable energy certificates [RE-wrenches]

Marco marco at pvthawaii.com
Sun Dec 7 17:45:36 PST 2003

Have any of you or your grid-connected customers signed up with Mainstay
Energy (www.mainstayenergy.com) or other such company to receive the "green
tag" value for the solar kWhs produced?  Any feedback on how the system
works for you and/or your client?  (Yes, I understand how it works in
principle; I'm just wondering how it works in practice.)  For the most part,
it seems like the PV-kWh producer is getting something ($$) for nothing,
even if that something is just enough to take the family out to a nice
restaurant a couple of times a year.

Or in the words of Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits, "money for nothing and
your chicks for free....."?

Marco Mangelsdorf
President
ProVision Technologies, Inc.