Battery Life in Grid-Tie Systems [RE-wrenches]

Justine Sanchez solarsisterj at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 19 10:20:51 PST 2003

Hello wrenches,

Here is our question of the hour:  can you expect a greater life expectancy from a battery (sealed or flooded) when it is in grid-tied mode verses stand alone mode?

The thought being that it is not cycled as often, so yes they should last longer, right? Well we spoke with a sealed battery rep and he disagreed with this thought.  He said that when the battery is used with a sw inverter, and has a constant amp charge on the battery from being in float mode, that the plates of the battery actually deteriorate.  He said to expect 5-7 years in grid tied mode and 10-12 years in stand alone mode...(which seems strange to hear of sealed battery getting that long of a life.)

Then a flooded battery rep disagreed with the sealed battery reps belief of being able to overcharge a battery in float mode.  He said it was untrue on one hand, but then said to only expect 6-8 years from a L-16 battery in grid with battery back-up mode, which seems low.

So, what is your experience on this matter...

Cheers!
-Justine Sanchez
SEI.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com