California Fires and PV [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 9 09:24:29 PST 2003

Our customer in the San Bernardino Mountain foothills asked us to
inspect his PV system after the fire. When we arrived Saturday morning,
an insurance agent and a contractor were inspecting the property. Fire
had raged right up to the home. He and his neighbors fought the fire and
saved his house, but flames had burned the paint off the east roof
fascia boards and heat had broken some south-facing windows. His
neighbors were not so fortunate. One neighbor who helped fight the fire
at our customer's home watched his home and several other homes a few
hundred years away burned to the ground.

The 40 roof-mounted Kyocera solar modules were untouched by the fire.
The 2 Sunny Boy inverters mounted on the north wall were also untouched
but the bushes near the inverters were seared from the fire's heat. The
PV system was working fine.

Joel Davidson and Fran Orner
SOLutions in Solar Electricity

- - - -