Combining Turbine Outputs? [RE-wrenches]

David Blecker blecker at seventhgenergy.org
Wed Oct 22 06:52:38 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
Windy's et al,

I'm working on the design of a 3 wind turbine project.  Each turbine is
65kW at 480V, 3-phase, 200 Amps max.  The machines will be located about
700 feet from the point of interconnection (POI) and rather than bring 3
sets of parallel cables back to the POI, I'm thinking that it would be more
economical to combine their outputs in the field and run a single set of
cables back to the POI.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what type of equipment is available to
establish a code-compliant 3 into 1 combiner bus? I'm imagining some kind
of pad-mounted NEMA enclosure, but quite frankly, this is bigger than
anything I've ever done and I'm quite clueless about the options.

Thanks to all,
Dave

David Blecker, P.E., Director
Seventh Generation Energy Systems